What We Do
The focus of MCOR is to coordinate, facilitate, and conduct programs of research and outreach across Penn State by building integrated and multi-disciplinary teams to address the complete range of issues presented by the development of the Marcellus Shale and other shale formations. Penn State has leading scholars working on many of the most critical areas of research and extending that information to stakeholder groups, federal and state legislators, the natural gas industry and the public.
MCOR's activities are broad and include:
- Conducting research on energy development that minimizes environmental impacts while promoting sustainability and maximizing societal benefit;
- Assessing socio-economic impacts, workforce training needs, and entrepreneurial opportunities;
- Educational outreach to landowners and stakeholders with factual and science-based information to support informed decision-making;
- Meeting with elected officials, state and federal agencies to provide technical information to support appropriate regulation, policy, and legal dimensions;
- Disseminating reports, presentations and programs on issues including economics, environmental impacts, energy resource production, and emerging trends.